I’m a researcher in the Institute of Psychology at the Jagiellonian University. My main research interests are focused on social cognition, epistemic motivation, multitasking and its cognitive and motivational predictors. I am also interested in morality and moral motivation.
Self-verification in the context of epistemic motivation. OPUS grant (2017/27/B/HS6/01120) awarded to Ewa Szumowska from the National Centre for Science (2018-2021).
Situtational predictors of multitasking in the context of the goal systems theory. Mobility Plus grant awarded to Ewa Szumowska from the Polish Ministry of Science (2018-2019).
Theory of goal commitment. OPUS grant (2015/19/B/HS6/01253) awarded to Katarzyna Jaśko from the National Centre for Science (2016-19).
- The influence of prioritization on engaging in multitasking. Grant for young researchers awarded to Ewa Szumowska from the Faculty of Philosophy at the Jagiellonian University (2017-2018).
- Laboratory of experimental philosophy: normative implications of the identified victim effect.Interdisciplinary grant awarded to Tomasz Żuradzki from the National Program of Humanities Development (2016-2018).
- Motivational rigidity as a striving to sustain an original strategy to perform tasks: evidence from the dual-task paradigm. Grant for young researchers awarded to Ewa Szumowska from the Faculty of Philosopy at the Jagiellonian University. In co-operation with Paulina Szwed (2015-2016).
- Motivational, affective, and cognitive sources of knowledge formation process: Implications for intrapersonal, interpersonal and intergroup phenomena. MAESTRO Grant awarded to prof. Małgorzata Kossowska by the National Centre for Science.
Papers in English
- Kruglanski, A. W., Fernandez, J. F., Factor, A. R., & Szumowska, E. (2018). Cognitive mechanisms in violent extremism. Cognition. Advance online publication.
- Klein, R. A., Vianello, M., Hasselman, F., Adams, B. G., Adams, R. B., Jr., Alper, S., … Nosek, B. A. (2018, November 19). Many Labs 2: Investigating Variation in Replicability Across Sample and Setting. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/9654g (pre-print available here: https://psyarxiv.com/9654g/).
- Kossowska, M., Szumowska, E., Dragon, P., Jaśko, K. & Kruglanski, A. (2018). Disparate Roads to Certainty: Processing Strategy Choices under Need for Cognitive Closure. European Review of Social Psychology. DOI: 10.1080/10463283.2018.1493066
- Szumowska, E., Popławska – Boruc, A., Kossowska, M. (2018). How many things do you (like to) do at once? The relationship between need for closure and multitasking preference and behavior. Personality & Individual Differences, 134, 222-231 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2018.06.023
- Szumowska, E., Kossowska, M., Roets, A. (2018). Motivation to comply with task rules and multitasking performance: The role of need for cognitive closure and goal importance, Motivation & Emotion, 42, 360–376, DOI: 10.1007/s11031-018-9678-2 Full text available here
- Sankaran, S., Szumowska, E., Kossowska, M. (2017). When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Motivation towards closure and effort investment in the performance of cognitive tasks. Motivation & Emotion. Advance online publication
- Szumowska, E., Szwed, P., Kossowska, M., Wright, R. (2017). Multifaceted Effects of Need for Cognitive Closure on Effort: A Cardiovascular Response Study. Motivation Science, 3(4), 369-382. doi: 10.1037/mot0000053. Advance online publication
- Szumowska, E., & Kossowska, M. (2017). Motivational rigidity enhances multitasking performance: The role of handling interruptions. Personality and Individual Differences, 106, 81-89. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2016.10.040 Full text available here
- Szumowska, E. & Kossowska, M. (2017). Need for cognitive closure and attention allocation during multitasking: Evidence from eye-tracking studies. Personality and Individual Differences, 111, 272–280. doi: 0.1016/j.paid.2017.02.014 Full text available here
- Kossowska, M., Czernatowicz-Kukuczka, A., Szumowska, E., & Czarna, A. (2016). Cortisol and moral decisions among young men: The moderating role of motivation toward closure. Personality and Individual Differences, 101, 249-253. Full text available here.
- Szumowska, E., & Kossowska, M. (2016). Need for Closure and Multitasking Performance: The Role of Shifting Ability. Personality and Individual Differences, 19, 12-17. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2016.02.055. Full text available here
- Szumowska, E., & Kossowska, M. (2014). Causal attributions of immoral behaviors in relation to moral identity and moral strictness. Przegląd Psychologiczny, 57(3), 409-422.
Chapters in English
- Szumowska, E. (2018). Measuring Multitasking Performance in the Face of Interruptions: Experimental Approach. In SAGE Research Methods Cases. DOI: 10.4135/9781526441935 Advanced online publication
- Kossowska, M., Szumowska, E., Szwed, P. (2018). Tolerancja w czasach niepewności [Tolerance in the Times of Uncertainty]. Sopot: Smak Słowa.