I obtained MA in psychology in 2012 at Jagiellonian University (Cracow, Poland). In 2014, I completed an Educational Measurement Programme taught by the international team of researchers. Later, in 2018 I earned PhD in psychology under supervision of prof. Malgorzata Kossowska (Jagiellonian University) and dr Michael Richter (Liverpool John Moores University). My work focused on social cognition and psychophysiology especially in the context of socio-emotional aging.
I also have some professional experience in applied settings. I worked as a psychometrician, where my focus was on psychometric modeling for personality traits and attitudes, and later as a researcher in the gaming industry where I worked on developing professional simulators for firefighters’ training.
My current interest concentrates on aging and social psychological research using computational methods and predictive modeling.
- Well-being in older age: investigation using automatic content analysis of social media texts. MOBILNOŚĆ PLUS grant received from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education in Poland (no 1614/MOB/V/2017/0). Project is carried out at Psychometrics Centre, Cambridge Judge Business School, Cambridge University
- Motivational, affective, and cognitive sources of knowledge formation process: Implications for intrapersonal, interpersonal and intergroup phenomena. MAESTRO Grant awarded to prof. Małgorzata Kossowska by the National Centre for Science.
- Line of the research project: Impact of self-relevance on the relationship between age and stereotypical inferences. In co-operation with: Małgorzata Kossowska and Michael Richter.
- The impact of age on in-group bias: EEG study with minimal group paradigm. In co-operation with Raffaella Rumiati, Francesco Foroni, & Luca Piretti from SISSA (Trieste, Italy).
- Political intolerance as an effect of value threat. Grant for young researchers sponsored by the Faculty of Philosopy at Jagiellonian University (DSC grant). In co-operation with Małgorzata Kossowska and Paulina Szwed.
Publications in English
- Czarnek, G., Strojny, P., Strojny, A., & Richter, M. (2020). Assessing engagement during rescue operation simulated in virtual reality: a psychophysiological study. International Journal of Human–Computer Interaction, 36(5), 464-476. doi: 10.1080/10447318.2019.1655905
- Czarnek, G., Szwed, P., & Kossowska, M. (2019). Right‐and Left‐wing Prejudice Toward Dissimilar Groups in Cultural and Economic Domains. European Journal of Social Psychology, 49, 807-823. doi: 10.1002/ejsp.2548 Full text available here
- Czarnek, G., Kossowska, M., Richter, M. (2019). Aging, effort, and stereotyping: The evidence for the moderating role of self-involvement. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 138, 1-10. DOI 10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2019.01.009
- Kossowska., M., Szwed, P., Wyczesany, M., Czarnek, G., i Wronka, E. (2018). Religious fundamentalism modulates neural responses to error-related words: The role of motivation towards closure. Frontiers in Psychology. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00285 Full text available here
- Kossowska, M., Szwed, P., Wronka, E., Czarnek, G., Wyczesany, M. (2016). Anxiolytic function of fundamentalist beliefs: Neurocognitive evidence. Personality and Individual Differences, 101, 390-395. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2016.06.039 Full text available here.
- Czarnek, G., Kossowska, M., i Sędek G. (2015). The Influence of Aging on Outgroup Stereotypes: The Mediating Role of Cognitive and Motivational Facets of Deficient Flexibility. Experimental Aging Research, 41(3),303-324. doi: 10.1080/0361073X.2015.1021647 Full text available here.
- Kossowska, M., Czarnek, G., Wyczesany, M., Wronka, E., Szwed, P., & Bukowski, M.(2015). Electrocortical indices of attention correlate with need for closure. NeuroReport, 26, 285-290. doi: 10.1097/WNR.0000000000000345 Full text available here.
- Kossowska, M., Bukowski, M., & Czarnek, G. (2014). Two routes to closure: Time pressure and goal activation effects on executive control. Polish Psychological Bulletin, 45, 268-274.
- Kossowska, M., Czarnek., G., Wronka, E., Wyczesany, M., & Bukowski, M. (2014). Individual differences in epistemic motivation and brain conflict monitoring activity. Neuroscience Letters, 570, 38–41. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2014.04.002
Publications in Polish
Czarnek, G., Dragon, P., Szwed, P., & Wojciszke, B. (2017). Kwestionariusz przekonań politycznych: własności psychometryczne [Political Beliefs Questionnaire: Psychometric properties]. Psychologia Społeczna, 41, 205–222. doi: 10.7366/1896180020174108 Full text available here
Please check the report from the study on political beliefs (in Polish): REPORT. Reported study was founded by a Faculty of Philosophy (Jagiellonion University) grant for PhD students and young researchers no K/DSC/002533 awarded to Gabriela Czarnek.