I finished my graduate studies in India and completed my Phd at Cardiff University, UK. I am an expert in the field of social cognition, specifically on cognitive and motivational processes predicting individual behaviour (sports performance, moral decision making, cognitive performance) and group behaviour (Indian caste identity and norm violation, refugee acceptance and pro-social behaviour).
I am also the founder of an organisation – Rethinking Refugees (https://www.rethinkingrefugees.com/) that aims to raise awareness about the situation of refugees/asylum seekers and build a bridge between science and practice in the field of migration and refugees.
Impact of COVID- threats on attitudes towards minorities with (in cooperation with Prof. Marcin Bukowski, Prof. Soledad de Lemus, Dr. Katarzyna Jasko, Dr. Katerina Petkanapolou, Anna Potoczek)
Impact of COVID- threats (with a COVID THREAT SCALE DEVELOPED) on growth, solidarity and prosociability towards refugees (in cooperation with Dr. Emanuele Politi, Dr. Adrian Luders, Dr.Joel Anderson) .
Influence of media narrative styles on refugee dehumanisation and pro-sociability.
Motivational and cognitive determinants of moral judgments: Implications for intergroup relations (in cooperation with Dr. Miroslaw Kofta, Prof. Maciek Sekerdej, Dr. Joseph Sweetman). FUGA grant (2016/20/S/HS6/00317) awarded from the National Centre for Science (2016-2019)
First impression and moral judgments of refugees and pro-sociability (in cooperation with Prof. Paul van Lange & Dr. Toon Kuppens)
Motivational and ideological determinants of Indian political populism (in cooperation Prof. Maciej Sekerdej & Dr. Jasper van Assche)
Motivational and cognitive determinants of caste perpetuation – the role of identity and caste norms (in cooperation Prof. Maciej Sekerdej & Dr. Ulrich von Hecker)
Motivational, affective, and cognitive sources of knowledge formation process: Implications for intrapersonal, interpersonal and intergroup phenomena. MAESTRO Grant awarded to prof. Małgorzata Kossowska by the National Centre for Science.
Motivational and social cognitive determinants of sports performance (a Ph.D. project with Dr. Ulrich von Hecker)
- Politi, E., Lüders, A., Sankaran, S.,…& Green, E.G.T. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on the majority population, ethno-racial minorities, and immigrants: A systematic review on threat appraisals from an inter-group perspective. European Psychologist. Full text available here
- Brandt, M., Kuppens, T., Spears, R.,…..Sankaran, S.,…..Zimmerman, J.L., (2020). Subjective status and perceived legitimacy across countries. European Journal of Social Psychology, 50(5), 921-942.
- Sankaran, S. (2018). Learned Helplessness in Sports: The role of repetitive failure experience, performance anxiety and perfectionism. Polish Psychological Bulletin, 49(3), 311-321.
- Sankaran, S., Szumowska, E., Kossowska, M. (2017). When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Motivation towards closure and effort investment in the performance of cognitive tasks. Motivation & Emotion. Advanced online publication
- Sankaran, S., Sekerdej, M., & Von Hecker, U. (2017). The role of Indian caste identity and caste inconsistent norms on status representation. Frontiers in Psychology, 8 (487). doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00487 Advanced online publication
- Sankaran, S., Grzymala-Moszczynska, J., Strojny, A., Strojny, P. & Kossowska, M. (2017). Rising up to the ‘challenge’? The role of need for closure and situational appraisals in creative performance. Personality and Individual Differences, 106C, 136-145. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2016.10.045. Full text available here.
- Kossowska, M., Bukowski, M., & Sankaran, S. (2016) “Ironic” effects of need for closure on closed-minded processing mode: The moderating role of perceived control over reducing uncertainty, in Current Issues in Social Psychology: Coping With Lack of Control in a Social World , M. Bukowski, I. Fritsche, A. Guinote & M. Kofta (Eds.) Taylor & Francis Groups.
- Von Hecker, U., Klauer, C. K. & Sankaran, S. (2013). Embodiment of social status: verticality effects in multi-level rank-orders. Social Cognition, 31(3), 374-389.
- Greenaway, K., Sankaran, S., Wolf, S., & Mitchell, J. (2020). Motivation. In The New Psychology of Sport and Exercise: The Social Identity Approach, S.A Haslam,K. Fransen & F. Boen (Eds.) Sage Publishing.
- Salvatore, J., Sankaran, S., & Cole, D. (2020). Cognition and performance. In The New Psychology of Sport and Exercise: The Social Identity Approach, S.A Haslam, K. Fransen & F. Boen (Eds.) Sage Publishing.
- Sankaran, S., Lewczuk, K., Kofta, M. (2020). Deprywacja kontroli a rozumowanie moralne. W: M. Kofta, A. M. Rędzio (red.), Poczucie kontroli i niepewność: Konsekwencje dla rozumienia świata społecznego (s. 201- 221). Warszawa: Liberi Libri.
- Kossowska, M., Bukowski, M., & Sankaran, S. (2016) “Ironic” effects of need for closure on closed-minded processing mode: The moderating role of perceived control over reducing uncertainty, in Current Issues in Social Psychology: Coping With Lack of Control in a Social World, M. Bukowski, I. Fritsche, A. Guinote & M. Kofta (Eds.) Taylor & Francis Groups.